Nothing says autumn like a braised Brisket served with cranberries, apples and cinnamon. Celebrate the cooler weather with this down-home meal.
- 1 beef Brisket Flat Half Boneless (2-1/2 to 3-1/2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 cup cran-apple, cranberry & apple juice, divided
- 3 to 4 medium red apples (such as Jonathan, Red Delicious, Jazz or Fuji), cored, cut into 16 wedges each (about 1-1/4 pounds)
- 3/4 cup dried sweetened cranberries
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Combine cumin and cinnamon; rub over beef Brisket. Heat oil in stockpot over medium heat until hot. Brown Brisket; season beef with salt and pepper, as desired.
- Add 3/4 cup juice and garlic to stockpot; bring liquid to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 2-3/4 to 3-1/4 hours. Add apples and cranberries to stockpot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 20 to 25 minutes or until Brisket and apples are fork-tender, stirring and rearranging apples once during cooking.
- Remove Brisket; keep warm. Combine remaining 1/4 cup juice and cornstarch; stir cornstarch mixture into apple mixture. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil 1 to 2 minutes or until mixture has thickened, stirring frequently.
- Trim fat from Brisket. Carve diagonally across the grain into thin slices. Season with salt and pepper, as desired. Serve beef with apple mixture.
Credit to BeefItsWhatsForDinner.com