Try this mouth watering recipe for all to enjoy. A juicy tender lamb shank with the flavor and aroma of rosemary, thyme and lemon.
- 6 Lamb Shanks (about 5 pounds total)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 3 large carrots, peeled, cut into 1/4-inch-thick rounds
- 10 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 750-ml bottle dry red wine
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes with juices
- 1 14 1/2-ounce can low-salt chicken broth
- 1 14 1/2-ounce can beef broth
- 5 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- Sprinkle shanks with salt and pepper. Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Working in batches, add shanks to pot and cook until brown on all sides, about 8 minutes. Transfer shanks to bowl.
- Add onions, carrots and garlic to pot and sauté until golden, about 10 minutes. Stir in all remaining ingredients. Return shanks to pot, pressing down to submerge. Bring liquids to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover; simmer until meat is tender, about 2 hours.
- Uncover pot; simmer until meat is very tender, about 30 minutes longer. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Chill until cold; cover and keep chilled. Rewarm over medium heat before continuing.) Transfer shanks to platter; tent with foil. Boil juices in pot until thickened, about 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Spoon over shanks.